Friday, February 10, 2017

02/10/17 - Still Blogging and My Reading Challenge

Hello!

I wanted to thank all who responded to my question: Why Do You Blog?
There were a variety of answers and some of you are in the same boat as me as far as not having a lot of followers, well "active" followers at least, and that made me feel a bit better about my situation. 
I loved learning why you still continued to blog even when it felt like you really had no audience.
I appreciate the responses for those of who have reasons for blogging that are different from mine also, such as family or business-related needs.
All your responses caused me to think more on the subject and I realized, like some of you, I just really like sharing my stories and projects even if not that many people see or care about them!
It's another great creative release for me!
I do explain my layouts, the story behind them and/or the creative process of making them on SB.com, but not as much or in as much detail as I feel I can here.
Plus I noticed that although I don't get a lot of comments I do get a lot of visitors to my posts and I thought that maybe the reason I don't get many comments is you have to have a blog and/or Google account in order to leave a comment and not a lot of people do (if that's not true, don't burst my bubble, LOL)!
Also I know I enjoy reading blogs even if I don't always leave a comment and perhaps people feel the same about mine (again, don't correct me if I'm wrong, hahahahahahaha)!
So for now at least I will continue to share my projects here, even those that are not Design Team related.
.......

Now on to another subject.
If you take a look of the tag line to my blog, you will see that it says: "Art, Books, and Randomness".
I think I've done a great job covering the "art" and "randomness" parts, but "books".... not-so-much!
Last year I set a goal to read 12 books.
1 a month should've been easy but I failed; I only read 7 total books for the year.
I love to read, normally, but last year I just couldn't get into it!

This year I'm going to try that 12 book goal again. 
I finished reading my first book; I was not impressed:


Image result for detour from normal book image
Summary:
Despite access to the greatest healthcare in the world, U.S citizens are not immune to medical horror stories. Such was the experience of Ken Dickson, a beloved husband and father and respected engineer, with no history of mental illness. What should have been an ordinary surgical procedure changed that, propelling him into a high security psychiatric ward where psychiatrists branded him a danger to himself and others.
This gut wrenching novel is leaving readers shocked at the author’s treatment, and appalled by how quickly a medical situation fell through the cracks, sending the patient spiraling uncontrollably into medically induced madness.
This novel is not, however, only about Ken. It is the story of two people deeply in love, but torn apart by fate, an eye-opening introduction to the stigma of mental illness, and a personal run-in with the poor broken souls trapped in psychiatric care. It is a rich and varied exploration of our humanity written from the unique perspective of someone suffering from mental illness.
Detour from Normal is a novel that you cannot afford to ignore, with a message that you will not want to dismiss: tomorrow, next year, or five years from now, this could happen to you.
 
Sounds good huh?!
I found it to be good at the beginning but it eventually got really boring really fast!
It took me 2 weeks to finish and I forced myself to keep reading it because I figured all the "rave reviews" couldn't be wrong; they were!
I would not recommend this book.
.
Well, I'm off to a bad start... but at least I finished it! 1 down, 11 more to go.

Anybody else have any reading goals this year?

4 comments:

  1. I love to read A LOT! lol! I read a book in about 2 days (average of 350 pages) -- I think I have read about 22 books so far this year. I finished 3 different series from Marie Force.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off...Reading 7 books is not a failure...sure you didn't reach your goal, but reading is awesome for the brain and reading 7 books is better than no books :D

    I am glad you have decided to continue blogging. It is true that it is another type of creative outlet. I cannot wait to see more layouts :)

    Good luck with your goal this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very glad to hear that you'll keep blogging. I love reading your blog. If you have not read it, drop everything and read 'The Help.' I saw the movie first (excellent) and then read the book (more excellent), which is unusual for me. I almost always read the book first and am consequently disappointed by the movie. Not this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog!! Such a fun place to visit...and you're a great writer.

    I'm working at keeping my brain healthy this year...omega 3's, learning something new (architecture) and trying to read more. (-; I'm currently reading Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil, by John Berendt. It is soooo good!! A nonfiction book that reads like a novel. Apparantly they made a movie about it. I don't currently have a goal for reading...I'll have to think about that.

    ~~Cheers~~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments!!! They really mean a lot to me!!!

03/27/23 Planning with Urban Journal Season Ink

My printer was having issues and I fixed it but during the interim I was not scrapping and lost my mojo ::le sigh:: But I've still been ...