As a scrapbooker I enjoy using the same basic techniques that I have grown accustomed to.
I have reached a comfort level that to me is not yet boring.
I like the familiar as it tends to make my scrapping go faster and I think I do a pretty good job of using those "comfortable techniques" in different ways as to not make all my layouts look the same.
But every once in a while I like changing it up a bit.
And just recently I did that.
I joined a challenge over at Scrapbook.com called the "Let's Share" challenge.
The basic premise was: you create a layout and share why you love it. One reason could be that you tried a new technique. Nothing too difficult...
Well, not until I get involved, LOL!
I decided this was the time for me to try a new technique.
I tried misting for the first time!
I tried misting for the first time!
This is something I've seen alot lately and I just love the way it looks!
So I dug out a bottle of mist (is that even the proper term for it?) that I've had for over 2 years and never used.
I was scared at first as I started misting my page...
shaky hands, reluctant trigger finger...
Finally the first spray came out.
Not to bad.
In fact I was enjoying it.
I thought to myself "shoot this isn't so hard!"
I finished misting and then once it dried went to work on the other elements of my page.
I adhered my picture mats, my pics, my hand made scallops, my title & date spots as well as the actual title and a few brads. When I felt like I was finished I thought, "it looks good, but most of my misting is covered up...it needs more". (Famous last words?)
Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking... how could I even think about misting on my layout after everything was already adhered?! Believe me I thought the exact same thing! I even told myself "if you mess up, you could not only ruin the layout, but the pictures!"
But did I listen??? Nah!!! I was a pro now! I could totally do this...I just had to be careful.
And I was... very careful... so careful in fact that I didn't push down hard enough on the nozzle and so instead of the spray coming out it just kinda built up inside. A few more careful pumps and still nothing...well except for more mist building up...
Finally I went for it...pressing hard on the nozzle, and this time something came out.
A whole LOT of something!
I got a big glob of mist in a big messy pool up in the top right hand corner.
It was not pretty!
Worse, I got a whole lot of mist on my pics, mostly the right hand pic.
I was devasted! I ran out of my scrap room screaming "No, no, nooooooooo!!!"
My husband, who was playing Wii at the time just looked at me w/ a "What's your problem?" look.
After taking a few deep breaths and successfully fighting back tears, I went back into the room to survey the damage.
For the most part I could save the layout.
I just needed a large embellie to place over the glob.
But my pic was ruined!
Luckily I knew I would be scrapping these pics and so I had ordered two copies: one to scrap and one to keep.
But I wasn't ready to mess w/ the layout again, so I hid it away to deal w/ it when I was able to look at it w/ fresh, less traumatic eyes.
The next day I took it out.
I adhered my new pic (I decided the other one didn't look too bad so I just left it) and covered up the glob w/ a giant scallop that matched my other, little scallops. Lastly I added some adhseive "button" embellies to make it look like the design was intentional.
In the end, this is what I had:
Despite my mishap, I can't say it was a totally horrible experience.
In fact when I look back on it, I can now laugh.
I will try misting again.
After all, I have now learned what NOT to do!