Tuesday, October 8, 2013

10/08/13 - "They Say It's Your Birthday"

My son turned 18 this past summer!
On June 14th, 2013 to be exact!
 
 Sunday night I finally got around to scrapping the photos from that day.
 
The celebration was small as we were not at home when the event took place.
I felt bad about not having a big blow-out for such a milestone but as is true to my son's mellow, laid-back nature, he was a-okay w/ it!
 

"They Say It's Your Birthday"


I had trouble w/ this layout because I wanted it to look birthday-ish but not baby-ish! I have this great Nikki Sivils Birthday collection, but it fell more on the baby-ish or more girl-ish side. I asked my son for assistance since it was a layout about him. I had told him I wanted to use the brown paper so that it would go w/ the chocolate cake, plus brown is a masculine color.  He took a look at the papers I had been going through and chose the BG paper you see.  We also agreed that accessorizing w/ the Nikki Sivils line would give it the birthday feel w/out being too kid-like. 
 
I had planned on calling this layout "They Say It's your Birthday" from the start as I was creating it for the "October  Music" challenge over at SB.com. Category #2 = Use a song title on your layout.  So how handy was it that one of the Nikki Sivils' cut-outs had "It's Your Birthday" on it?! All I had to add was the "They Say" part and my title was complete! Unfortunately the cut-out was a bit girly, but whatcha gonna do, right?
 
In the end, both he and I were happy w/ the layout!
 
BTW - I scraplifted another layout to come up w/ this design and I want to give credit to the original work of art:
 
And finally...I figured out what my talent is:  Crooked layouts! Yay, me! LOL!
Seriously though,  I swear no matter how hard I try to line up my stuff it always come out crooked! Ugh! And it always leans to the right.  Maybe because I am right-handed?
Oh well, I have learned to embrace the imperfections!
 
Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Good idea having him pick his own papers! I'm not seeing the crooked, but maybe you should just embrace it. I love the whimsy of a tilted LO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loveeeeeeeeeeeee this!! I love love love the colors and the photos!! And the circles too!! And it doesn't look crooked to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about to confess here... I use a ruler on my layouts because if I don't everything ends up crazily crooked. I think yours looks just fine. I can't see what you mean. It's a gorgeous page and you did a great job making it look masculine and grown up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm...well...yeah...I use a ruler but still crooked! IDK how I do it! I guess I'm just really talented that way! :0P

      Delete
  4. Great masculine birthday page!! Great job mixing and I don't see anything crooked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great page! I love the different sizes of the photos you included, and that close-up shot of the cake candles is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments!!! They really mean a lot to me!!!

03/27/23 Planning with Urban Journal Season Ink

My printer was having issues and I fixed it but during the interim I was not scrapping and lost my mojo ::le sigh:: But I've still been ...